Memorial Day is the start of summer in our household. We always try to tackle a project or two to make the most of the long weekend, but this year we kept it pretty small since we had just finished our massive garden build.
I did a few small projects around the house, but we mostly enjoyed our time together as a family. The start of the weekend was pretty chilly, but the sun came out on Sunday, just in time for this guilt-free, patriotic homemade popsicle recipe! It's perfect for both a Fourth of July and Memorial Day dessert.
File this in your Healthy Popsicle Recipes because these are made of only five ingredients: yogurt, honey, strawberries, bananas, and blueberries. These are not anything I need to worry having too much sugar for Lenna. Girlfriend does not need help in the energy department.
I wanted these to have a clear red, white, and blue look to fit in with the holiday, so I split 3 cups of yogurt into 3 separate bowls. Looking back, I’d use less yogurt the next time -especially if you want to see the fruit. I would suggest splitting only 2 cups of yogurt amongst the three bowls.
Next, I added about a teaspoon of honey to each bowl and then added the fruit. I wanted the blueberries and strawberries to have a bit of color, so I smashed a few of the fruit against the sides of the bowls as I folded it all together. I did not smash the bananas because I didn’t really need the color there.
I bought the popsicle molds from Target for only $13. I really think I’ll be using them all summer long with our homemade ice cream.
I started assembling the popsicles with the strawberries in first, about 1/3 of the way up. The popsicles are set upside down in their tray for freezing, so this would allow the strawberries to be on top of the popsicles once set. Next I added the bananas and then blueberries.
Next I assembled the popsicle sticks and set them into the filled molds. They went into the freezer for about 3 hours. When you're ready to enjoy them, run them under hot water for 30 to 60 seconds. Simple as that!
Weekends are something special for me. They’re the days I get to be with my family all day, and I am able to be my most creative self. Breakfasts are usually a bit more special than the weekday parfait.
This weekend, I wanted to try my hand at homemade bagels. I found the recipe over at Love and Lemons and the reviews were so great I knew it would be worth my while. The recipe is something to start the night before because they need to be refrigerated over night.
In the morning, they’ll sit out an hour before proofing. I always make sure to get up before Dane and Lenna each morning, so I enjoyed a nice cup of coffee in silence while the bagels sat.
Before they went into the oven, I brushed on a simple egg wash and then seasoned the bagels with my Homemade Everything Bagel Seasoning. When they were out, I sliced mine in half and toasted it, while Dane turned his into a bacon and egg bagel sandwich.
Once our vegetable garden is more established, I’d love to try this recipe again for jalapeno bagels and blueberry bagels! I can’t wait!
I cannot be any happier to say that our vegetable garden fencing is finally finished. The space looks so much more official!
The fence itself was super easy to do. We used pressure treated lumber and steel wire we purchased from Home Depot.
We spaced each of our fence posts out just shy of 8 feet so that we could use 8 foot boards with little waste and then secured them in with Sika Pro Select Fence Post Mix. It dries pretty quickly, so you’ll want to move fast. This really helped us a lot in time.
I had chicken wire on hand from our yard waste compost bin project, but wanted something a little more modern in design for this project.
The design for the fence involves sandwiching the wire between the two boards. The pressure from the boards screwed together is enough to hold the wire in place. We decided on this design so that there were no exposed wire edges for safety. We didn’t think about this during our yard waste compost bin build, and I wish we had.
To keep the panels as sturdy as possible, we decided to use a half-lapped approach.
First we measured the horizontal length. We then subtracted 3.5 inches to make up for the width of the boards, and cut two boards to length. We decided to leave the bottoms of the fence panels exposed so that we could bury them in an attempt to keep burrowing animals from getting into the garden. However, for the gates, we went ahead and framed all four sides.
For the vertical boards, we measured the height and subtracted 3.5 inches from one of the two boards from each left and right side. Our yard isn’t level and so each side was a different measurement.
We then sandwiched the wire in between the two layers of wood and secured them with exterior screws.
I’m so happy with how this project turned out and can’t wait to get planting! This Spring and Summer is going to be filled with so many great memories!